Thursday, March 13

I'll always be a kid at heart.

Growing up we had some wonderful memories (me and my 3 siblings), I remember always playing video games (Atari, Sega Master System with the built in Worm game, NES, Sega Genesis, and the PS1) with my brother into the late hours of the night until my Mom would come in and make us turn off the video game, or right after we finished our homework. I would always play the navigator for him, I'd coach him along as he would end up beating each game, he was my older brother so he'd always have the controller and let me play every once and a while... I didn't mind that I liked navigating I liked looking out for him while he played. We'd play 2 player games of course, but I was better navigating... but now... I rock at video games!

I remember most of our Christmases together and the wonderful feeling of not being able to sleep the night before and being filled with anxiety wondering and thinking if I truly got what I was hoping and wanting - I was never disappointed. My parents weren't wealthy more on the poor side growing up but that never stopped them making sure us kids got exactly what we wanted... plus socks, clothes, and underwear. They were wonderful...

I remember Saturday morning cartoons and waking up extra early so I can plan out my Cartoon TV time properly to make sure I had time to watch all my favorites - man I wish they had Tivo back then. My plan would always consist of trying to watch these (this is a small list... and this is throughout the years... can't remember the order) : the Real Ghostbusters, Pac-man, Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Smurfs, Beetlejuice, Superfriends, X-men, Muppet Babies, Saved by the Bell, Q-bert, etc ... ). Wow I sure miss getting up those days and not having a care in the world - just making sure I got the most out of that great morning. Of course afterwards we'd go outside and play with all the neighborhood kids which was tons of fun... but those stories are for another time. Heck thinking of cartoons and some of my favorites I can't help but think about the after-school cartoons, here are a few just to jog your memory --- Thundercats, Ducktales (I love the intro song!), Talespin, Transformers, GI Joe, He-man, Voltron, etc...

Thinking about all this today I made sure to call my Mom and then my Dad to just say I love you... some days I miss those early years, not all were great but it's good to look back on the happy ones. It really makes me love Kenzie (and this time with my family) all the more...

So with all that said, I really do feel that there are many parts of me that are still a kid and don't want to grow up totally - I'm definitely a geek to some degree. I still love video games and some cartoons... but my choice in toys has changed to camera gear, computers and programs. However last week I went ahead and bought something that I've always wanted but like most I always ended up with a CHEAP walmart version. So I splurged and I picked up a Nitro powered R/C buggy, an Ofna Ravanger Buggy capable of going 55+ miles per hour.

Jimmy and I took out his R/C car and mine this past weekend and had so much fun... I truly felt like that little boy from my past - out there at a dirt track racing around and having fun. It was great.

And you know... there are many things I can hope and pray for you - but one of them is that you get something (a hobby, anything...) that is a release from the normal stuff, something that takes you away for just a little while - something that brings back those happy childhood memories... and releases you from everything for just a couple hours...

For me - this is just one of many things throughout life that I'm certain will bring back those cherished memories... I love reminiscing. - Enoch.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like you took those words right out of my mouth. I use to love those times! And yes back then you did navigate because for some reason you would just hand me the controller but still have fun. I love those memories. Now that we both have daughters our lives are lived through them and we can enjoy building their many memories. Life is good and I thank God for all my family, Love ya bro.